Thursday, February 27, 2014

Almost, but not quite

In sprucing up my online blogs, I wandered over here and stumbled across a post from last summer regarding my medical situation.  I later took it down, out of a concern of too much information.  Today I decided to restore it, to document how modern medicine can still be so very wrong (and also so very amazing).

Last August, I was scheduled for surgery to have a dermoid ovarian cyst removed.  My new husband and I headed out to California to visit with my family that couldn't come for the wedding, in a second reception.  To say the trip was difficult was an understatement.  It's quite amazing what willpower and antibiotics can get you through.

The details are a bit hazy now, and I'm sure I could find the gory details on my facebook wall, but basically a last minute CT scan with contrast "just to make sure" revealed that in fact, I did not have a dermoid ovarian cyst, but rather a large abscess which was subsequently determined to be a fistula between my small intestine and my bladder.  In hindsight, it had been the source of my troubles since June 2012, and periodic courses of antibiotics likely saved my life along the way.

My health had been deteriorating constantly, and my restricted diet caused a large amount of weight loss.  Initially I was pleased, as a typical woman subjected to modern marketing, but my sallow appearance made it clear things were less than stellar.  My gallbladder had been troubling me too, and despite a round of acupuncture before I left Montana, my extreme low-fat diet (3-5 g of fat per serving) started making my hair fall out.  Bouts of vomiting and extreme pain made the first half of 2013 extremely difficult, more-so because I was planning a wedding and still working full time telecommuting.

Quick action on the part of my doctors got me in to a top notch surgeon and scheduled for the *correct* surgery at the end of September.  By this time, my job had reached the end of its term and I was looking for a new job- and I still am.  The silver lining was that it is much easier to send in job applications than working full time, and I was able to focus on my recovery.  It was a bumpy fall season, certainly, but I'm happy to say I've made it through to the other side and moving forward.

As part of that, I've decided to apply to be a contributor on Healthline.  At the very least, it will help me start to build a non-research writing portfolio, and maybe even help out someone else with Crohn's and the roller coaster mess of secondary effects it causes.

No comments: